Emily Smith wrote:
I have a logical file on System B called awdevicel2. On System A,
I created a DDM over awdevicel2 on system B also called
awdevicel2.

In my RPG program on system A, I have my F spec defined as
follows (pardon any formatting errors):

Fawdevicel2if e k disk

When I compile I get the RNF2120 external description not found
error. I have done a wrkobj and verified that the object exists,
that the authority is okay, and that it's in my library list.

What did I miss?

Although WRKOBJ can verify the device file existence, that would not also verify the connectivity nor that the target file can be accessed via the DDM connection if it were successfully established. Issue a request like the following, to verify the specified target file is accessible and has the expected access path:

DSPFD AWDEVICE12IF *ACCPTH SYSTEM(*RMT)

Note that the joblog from the compile should log the messages which log the progress of the connectivity and diagnose conditions which might prevent the access; including naming the target job for which DSPJOBLOG JOB(as_named_by_DDM_loggin) on the target system would show errors preventing the access of the target file.

Regards, Chuck