John,
Check out the QSYGETPH api. Scott Klement has an example of it in his
socket tutorial at:

http://www.scottklement.com/rpg/socktut/valuserid.html

Terry Anderson
Programming Manager
Grede LLC.
Switchboard 1.251.867.5481 ext 212
Direct Line 1.251.809.2312
Fax 251.867.0525
Cell 1.251.363.4975

------------------------------

message: 2
date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 17:48:13 -0400
from: "John Allen" <jallen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Help with password field using DDS

If have looked and looked for an answer to this and I know someone else
must already have gone down this road.

So I shall post my question.

I need a screen to prompt a user for up to 5 passwords (several
different people may have to enter their passwords before the program
can continue)

(it's for printing checks with signatures)

I do not want the passwords to display and I need to validate the fields
and display message if one or more of the password are not valid.

it appears there is no way to define the field as a password field so
they do not display (or better yet display *********)

If I make the field non-display so the passwords do not display then the
reverse image does not work (actually works but the non-display does not
display the reverse image)

I would like to know how others have handled fields where the user must
enter a password.

Thanks

John