Hmmm... seems perhaps the resolution was actually for a request to convert binary data to a hex character string represention, such that the response I originally had composed below is no longer relevant.? I will send that text as a reply anyhow, since neither the subject nor the description of the outcome IMO seem to match the apparent solution, and per a later comment of uncertainty about the solution suggesting that "same thing wrong as I did before...passing the character instead of the integer...I think".

Is it possible that there is another nibble [before & after] or byte [before or after] that is part of the binary data [but not integer apparently] described as embedded within character string data? Perhaps something was overlooked, such that there is more of the hex string available than was presented here; e.g. the full string, delimited by an EBCDIC upper case A, might be for example one of?:
x'C1199900C1' or x'C11999000FC1' or x'C10199900FC1'

As shown and then described as how the value is interpreted, the hex string as binary data x'199900' appears to be unsigned packed [binary coded] decimal. A simple overlay as decimal will work for signed packed BCD data, but there is no such support that I am aware of for unsigned packed BCD. If the value might instead be x'0199900F' representing the decimal value 199900, then the overlay is simply four bytes defined as either P(6,#) or P(7,#) variable.

Regards, Chuck

Michael Ryan wrote:
I want to see 199900. I get it as part of a character string that
has x'199900' in it. I need to convert that to decimal, 199900.