Barbara Morris wrote:
On 3/18/2010 4:22 PM, Carel Teijgeler wrote:
Tu use *START the file should be keyed and this is a programme described
file. Won't do, unfortunately.

*START can be used for both a keyed or non-keyed file, and for both externally-described and program-described. A *START SETLL doesn't specify any search argument, it simply positions the cursor at the beginning of the file.

Yes, that actually works quite well. In ILE RPG.

Unfortunately, the application is in MI, *START only works in ILE RPG (not OPM RPG), and so far as I'm aware, since ILE doesn't use OPM MI, there's no way to even see the MI equivalent to an ILE RPG program.

Then, too, there's the problem with being unable to recover on an SQL VIEW, if one tries to randomly access a record that's excluded from the VIEW. A solution specific to the top of the file wouldn't be much help there.

On a more pleasant note, the brute-force iterative solution (i.e., iterating through SETLL with an increasing RRN until you get to one that doesn't raise an error) does work, and isn't as big of a mess as I thought it would be, at least in the RPG test program.

--
JHHL