But not having coded a global handler just means that the language's global handler is invoked... which it seems, may be exactly the "problem" the OP wants to address. Thus to prevent the CPA0701 inquiry [or similarly default exception handling inquiry processing, specific to the language], a programmer-defined global monitor would have to supersede the implicit language-specific global monitor.

So although MONMSG CPF0000 EXEC(*N) is not a good global monitor because that is just a "global ignore" of errors, actually coding a handler by specifying EXEC(do_something) can offer great benefit. The "do_something" could even effect an inquiry, but not so easily effect a retry. As a programmer I prefer the 'R' retry, as alluded to enable correction then retry, but a typical "user" will have limited capability to make such decisions or even correctly perform corrective before retry when they do.

However, if the user jobs are forced to run with inquiry message reply handling of something other than *RQD, then they may not even be offered an opportunity to answer an inquiry. For example all of the HLL generic exception inquiry messages could be defaulted to reply with the 'D' dump option, either by message default or the default reply value. That may be something the OP should consider, if one of the valid reply values might offer a better outcome than if the decision is left to the user; e.g. Enter pressed, thus sending *N or the default as the reply value.

Another option, but one I would not actually recommend, is the inquiry message exit program. That exit could recognize such a generic HLL handler inquiry, and perform the notifications & gathering of details about the failure; optionally choosing how to respond for the user.

Regards, Chuck

rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Users can be vexing, I understand. But I often loathe generic
error handlers, like wrapping all your RPG logic with one bit
monitor. Or putting a MONMSG CPF0000 as the first line in your
CL programs. Especially in CL. Because if I see the message I
can often patch something and issue a retry. Use a global and
it confuses the retry.