Nathan,

let me give you an idear:

RIA stands for Rich Internet Applications, you probably know that. To make
a RIA you need OOjavascribt in the browser because a RIA is OO oriented
and eventdriven.

There are two types of RIA's

Server Centric.

The main RAI's in this field is Google GWT and Ext JS GWT, both are OOjava
on the server side that generates OOjavascript for the client. Google GWT
is used for all Google Appl. as Wave etc, Ext JS GWT is smaller. Then
there are RAILS and ZEND, RAILS based on ruby and ZEND based on PHP - if
they will succeed in this new world I doubt. This is big words, but IMHO
they try to twist a platform around not made for the job - and even worse
- a hole community that hangs in old methods. People that goes in that
direction will on long terms (after their hello world) be punished and
punished and punished in low efficiency and complexity.

Client Centric.

Here we find Ext JS, and jQueryUI, JQtouch etc. that basically is
components you can build on in the browser, but comes without server side.
The most advanced is Ext JS that besides that also has the most features
you will need if you are making a commercial app.

The leaningcurve are steep for both scenarios, specially if you are a
RPGLE programmers.

RIA's don't need all the fancy HTML generating tools, it is basically a
javascript file you simply serve to the browser and the servers role is to
serve data in JSON. Why JSON ? Because in the RIA war and the browser war
- the opponent is Dart Wader and his deputies at MS, the newest Opera
Browser 10.5 (in beta) outperforms MS IE 8.0 8x in processing javascript.
RIA means that your browser does not just sneak queries into the server,
but they come as shit from a baby calf, returning JSON superseeds any
other format, and RIA means that your clients PC does the rendering and
processing job instead of the server.

In fact this must be the dream scenario, if you hope to have 100K users on
a Power System, many reponsetime < 0.0008 seconds ?

Regards
Henrik

Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
19-02-2010 17:38
Please respond to
RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject
What skills should you have?

Using PHP to generate javascript to generate HTML? Who does that?
And why on earth would you?

Bryce,

If I understand correctly, Rational Business Developer tools generate
JavaScript which generates DOM elements - if not generating HTML. That
could be where PHP is headed - generating JavaScript to support Rich UI.
That's just conjecture.

I was curious how you're using JSON? It appears to me that JSON may be
becoming more common in the RPG community to interface with ExtJS rich UI
components. Just curious.

-Nathan.