The sheer length of this thread reinforces my preexisting prejudice in
favour of "contracting out" any XML parsing to a tool designed for the
job. I wonder, Jim, if producing your desired output from a parsed
representation of the input would be any more work than the effort you
have already spent on adhocery? And then, which strategy would give you
more confidence in the result?

(Yesterday was a holiday in Canada. Feel free to attribute this message
to the moral equivalent of Monday-morning grumpiness :)

Cheers,
Terry.