Luis,

That was it! I finally got all the little ducks in a row, as in:

D ds
D Num 1 4p 4
D CharF 1 4

Then set Num = My7digitnum

BINGO!

Then I can write the CharF field to the program-described file as a packed number, using SQL.

Thank you to everyone who responded.

Merry Christmas to all! And to all a good "write"!

TA