Hi Terri
I agree - this should not be that difficult
I use the same thought process myself

here is what I have in the program that I am presently working on (slightly
different)
D Ds
D Priordate 6 0 dtaara(Priordate)
D Priordatemm 2 overlay(Priordate)
D Priordatedd 2 overlay(Priordate:*next)
D Priordateyy 2 overlay(Priordate:*next)

with the freeform being

in *lock Priordate;
Priordate = Startdate;
out Priordate;

The only other thing that I can think of (but it makes no sense) is that
there is another object called FSHDTE that is higher up in your library
list (like I said - fishing for straws)
Can you rename the data area and try that?

Alan Shore
Programmer/Analyst, Distribution
E:AShore@xxxxxxxxxxx
P:(631) 200-5019
C:(631) 880-8640
"If you're going through Hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

THarteau@felkerbr
others.com
Sent by: To
rpg400-l-bounces@ RPG programming on the IBM i /
midrange.com System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

11/24/2009 04:24 Subject
PM Re: Data Area Problem

Please respond to
RPG programming
on the IBM i /
System i
<rpg400-l@midrang
e.com>

Hi,
Took out the P in the D spec, no go. When I did the DSPDTAARA, I
got:
Data area . . . . . . . : FSHDTE
Library . . . . . . . : V64BPCSPGM
Type . . . . . . . . . : *DEC
Length . . . . . . . . : 8 0
Text . . . . . . . . . : Last Date Fishmouth Report Run-BOM299
Value . . . . . . . . . : 20091115

I think I will just get rid of the data area and do this a different way.
This should not be that difficult.

Terri Harteau
Felker Brothers Corporation
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path
and leave a trail."
Ralph Waldo Emerson