3) The cast majority of RPGers on seeing the BASED keyword will go "What
the ... " - I used to teach this technique in my sessions on the D-spec but
have all but dropped it (and relegated it to notes pages) because such a
large percentage of the audience just glazed-over when they saw it.

I made the same experience and also moved off all pointer handling from my
courses and sessions. We use it for referencing but, but the reference data
structures are hidden in copy members I only told the programmers to define
their data structures or fields with LIKEDS or LIKE.

... and even worse if you see a C-guy programming RPG who uses the reference
data structures for new data structures but also uses Based for the new data
structures and starts allocating storage at the beginning of the
(Sub-)Procedures and Programs (and sometimes forget it to deallocate and run
into problems).

I'm currently working with such an application.

Unfortunately I have to downcompile to release V5R2 (as long as there are
some clients who still work with V5R2).

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Birgitta Hauser

Brown)