The SQL precompiler is not meant to be a learning tool as to how to use
SQL CLI. It uses an entirely different technique.

Tangentially, some people used RTVQMQRY to 'decompile' a Query/400 query
into a sql statement. While useful, it's not the way that I'd learn SQL.
You can see this by people who use WHERE statements instead of JOIN where
appropriate. Also, some Query/400 queries just won't do it. And you can
see this by using ANZQRY first. Sample would be taking Query/400's
version of inner or outer joins (ie matching records with primary file)
and trying ANZQRY on that.

You lose nothing by not being able to retrieve exactly what is done with
the precompiler. There are things that the SQL CLI does that the
precompiler cannot but there is nothing in the reverse (IMHO). And I've
never used SQL CLI.

Why were you using SQL CLI instead of embedded SQL? Was it because of a
lack of the precompiler, the desire to use stuff that only SQL CLI
supports, or just to learn SQL CLI? Obviously you have the precompiler
(at least on some machines) or you wouldn't know that you can't use the
listing to generate SQL CLI.

IBM does not prevent the customers from rolling their own.
They do not hide it. SQL CLI is documented.
And I'm not sure if the associated program space is a limiting factor in
any way.

Rob Berendt