file will not.

Detail:

I have a table like this
CREATE TABLE ROB/ONECOLUMN (COL1 CHAR (80 ) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT) RCDFMT
R1
and one like this
CREATE TABLE ROB/ONECOLUMN2 (COL1 CHAR ( 80) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT,
PRIMARY KEY (COL1)) RCDFMT R2

and this program
FONECOLUMN O E DISK
FONECOLUMN2O E K DISK
/free
col1='X';
write r1;
write r2;
col1='A';
write r1;
write r2;
col1='B';
write r1;
write r2;
col1='Z';
write r1;
write r2;
*inlr=*on;
return;
/end-free

When I do a DSPPFM on either file they are both in the same sequence: X,
A, B, Z.

C:\qtemp>FTP GDISYS
Connected to GDISYS.dekko-1.
220-QTCP at GDISYS.dekko-1.
220 Connection will close if idle more than 5 minutes.
User (GDISYS.dekko-1:(none)): ROB
331 Enter password.
Password:
230 ROB logged on.
ftp> ASC
200 Representation type is ASCII nonprint.
ftp> GET ROB/ONECOLUMN ONEC.TXT
200 PORT subcommand request successful.
150 Retrieving member ONECOLUMN in file ONECOLUMN in library ROB.
226 File transfer completed successfully.
ftp: 12 bytes received in 0.03Seconds 0.38Kbytes/sec.
ftp> GET ROB/ONECOLUMN2 ONEC2.TXT
200 PORT subcommand request successful.
150 Retrieving member ONECOLUMN2 in file ONECOLUMN2 in library ROB.
226 File transfer completed successfully.
ftp: 12 bytes received in 0.00Seconds 12000.00Kbytes/sec.
QUIT

TYPE ONEC.TXT
and I get
Interesting, no sort, no key done but ftp sorted the file.
ONEC2.TXT was the same way.

If, however, I use the hated CPYTOIMPF command (your file might be able to
use CPYTOSTMF), I can do this:
CPYTOIMPF FROMFILE(ROB/ONECOLUMN) TOSTMF('/rob/onec.txt') STMFCCSID(*PCAS
CII) RCDDLM(*CRLF)

DSPF '/ROB/ONEC.TXT'
....+....1....+....2....+....3.
************Beginning of data*
"X
"A
"B
"Z
************End of Data*******

C:\qtemp>FTP GDISYS
Connected to GDISYS.dekko-1.
220-QTCP at GDISYS.dekko-1.
220 Connection will close if idle more than 5 minutes.
User (GDISYS.dekko-1:(none)): ROB
331 Enter password.
Password:
230 ROB logged on.
ftp> ASC
200 Representation type is ASCII nonprint.
ftp> GET /ROB/ONEC.TXT ONECagain.txt
200 PORT subcommand request successful.
150-NAMEFMT set to 1.
150 Retrieving file /ROB/ONEC.TXT
226 File transfer completed successfully.
ftp: 336 bytes received in 0.00Seconds 336000.00Kbytes/sec.
ftp> quit
221 QUIT subcommand received.

C:\qtemp>TYPE ONECagain.txt
"X "