In our world of computer vandals, attackers, denial-of-service attacks, spam, malware and the like, many companies choose to block ICMP messages. Or simply discard unwanted connection requests from a firewall.

The ICMP protocol is the "error message" protocol of the Internet. When you do something wrong (such as try to connect to a JDBC server on a computer that doesn't have one running) the TCP/IP stack is supposed to send an ICMP message saying "connection refused". That tells you that the computer isn't accepting connections on the given port.

But people block that message. Or prevent it entirely by configuring a firewall to simply discard the connection request so the computer never even receives the request (and therefore can't tell you that it failed)

The result is that your program sits and waits for a response to the request. It sits and sits and sits and waits until a response is received. If there is no response coming, it will sit indefinitely.

Normally, TCP/IP software has the option to set a "timeout" value to limit how long it sits and waits. I don't know if Oracle has that option in their JDBC driver (I don't use Oracle) or if they do have such an option, I don't know what the default value is.

But assuming that the value is either very long, or set to "wait indefinitely" by default, then it would make perfect sense that using the wrong IP address would certainly cause the problem you describe.

Incidentally -- coding an IP address instead of a domain name is a really bad idea. Please consider changing that.

Lim Hock-Chai wrote:
Ok. It appears to cause by wrong ip being put into the url. Which
makes me wonder why it stucks when wrong ip is provided.