Ummm... not sure what the 3 descriptor requirement of Java has to do with HTTPAPIR4?? It sure wouldn't cause the error you're receiving!

But, if you like... Java expects to have 3 file descriptors open at the time that the JVM is started. The 3 descriptors represent stdin, stdout and stderr, respectively. On Unix systems, these are always descriptors 0, 1 and 2.

When ILE RPG starts Java, it doesn't ensure that these descriptors are open. On other systems like Windows or Unix this is a non-issue, because these descriptors are pretty much always open. But on i, they are optional, and if you don't have the open and Java tries to use them, you can have problems.

So some of my Java-related service programs (and I repeat, this does NOT include HTTPAPI, which uses *no* Java whatsoever) will guarantee that there are at least 3 desriptors open. That way, Java won't try to use closed descriptors and go haywire.

IF you're looking for more detail than that about why Java needs these, and why *it* (or, at least, RPG) doesn't open them itself, then I won't be able to help you. I was merely told that Java requires these descriptors, and that it would solve problems if I open them. The person who told me that (Barbara Morris) didn't fully understand the reason, she just said that it was necessary and that it solved some crashes that people were experiencing with my tools.

Peter Connell wrote:
Thanks,
I'd forgotten to check into that.
I have a feeling I remember seeing a display that indicated how many
descriptors were open but can't recall off the top of my head.

BTW, can you comment on your reason for opening the 1st 3 descriptors
while commencing a java object group.

Peter