The mention of /logs/ was why /retrieve message/ was explicitly noted, beyond just /send message/. That retrieve feature can be used to effect the same formatted [first level] message text [with the same trimmed character replacement variable] as would be generated with /send message/. No argument that use of impromptu over identifiers can be worthwhile in some environments; I prefer to make use of the tools for the functions they provide when it makes sense, and I especially prefer to have someone tell me a message identifier than the[ir] "words" to describe the failure, since users can be so creative [dense?] in explaining the error they received.

Regards, Chuck

John Rusling wrote:
That'd work too but I often throw these into a log file as well.

And, to be honest, I've seen message files so overdone at my
previous employers, I grown an aversion to them.

I mean, I wrote a program to track their usage and found that over 1/2 of them, and there were 1000+ of them, were used in only
1 or 2 places.

CRPence wrote:

Since sending a message, why not stop using dynamic\impromptu message [text], and just let the message handler feature
replace the string variable TRIMmed into a message string
defined with a specific message identifier? ADDMSGD
MSGID(XYZABCD) MSGFILE(MyMsgFile) MSG('Customer &1 not found.')
VAR((*CHAR 14)) [cmd syntax is suspect\un-verified] and then
send the edited\character result as the replacement variable
for send message and retrieve message.