David Gibbs wrote:
I suspect that even Joe Pluta, who is the biggest EGL proponent I know and with whom I often disagree with WRT EGL, would agree with me when I say that EGL is not a replacement for RPG when it comes to business applications on the i.
Not that David would put words in my mouth <grin>, but he's actually correct as far as my personal opinion goes. There are those in IBM who would dearly love to see EGL become the migration path of choice for RPG shops, and there's even a tool (albeit a very expensive tool) that converts RPG programs to EGL.

That being said, David prefers this list to be RPG-technical, not RPG-management and as he notes comparing EGL and RPG is more of a management issue. I don't know about MIDRANGE-NONTECH, since there would be a host of technical issues that wold come into play, but certainly not here.

I'd be happy to address any issues like this in EGL-i, though.

And those reading this thread may have noted that the book Alan linked to is my book; it is specifically about using the newest EGL tooling to front-end RPG back end business logic; this is a strategy that allows you to reface your applications today without having to migrate your RPG code. Another excellent discussion for the EGL-i list.

Joe