Hi Tom

Glad someone took the time - maybe it'll help the OP. Apparently his program is working, since it IS displaying and there is no error. So it's time for him to go to the tutorials, to the Application Display Programming book, to a book that takes him through all he needs, such as Brian Kelly's, I think.

This does raise the question - just how DOES a person get into RPG on their own? With all the supporting objects needed - the examples in the Programmer's Guide seem to assume that you know how to create PFs and DSPFs.

Not that I'm going to solve this one for anyone at this time!!!

Later
Vern

Tom Liotta wrote:
new_id Y wrote:

Thank you all for your great explainations :)I treid to do what you mentioned but the flash output screen still there.Will try to find out the problem ..Have a nice day!

Y:

Using pretty much the same RPG code, I can cause the behavior to come and go depending on the display file that is active on-screen at the time I call the program.

If called from my WRKOBJPDM command line, 'hello world' flashes on the screen. The same happens from the system MAIN menu command line and the QCMD display.

However, if I run it from the command line of a *DSPF (CRTMNU) menu, then the DSPLY output stays until I press [Enter].

I have a vague memory of DSPLY messages having this behavioral difference that depends on something like the characteristics of the current display file; perhaps like RSTDSP(*YES/*NO) or a combination of attributes, or perhaps even related to *DEVD attributes. Differences in *DEVD might make more sense if Vern doesn't see what I see. A *DSPF menu object is not quite the same as a *UIM menu; not sure about a *PGM menu.

Maybe that's enough to trigger someone's memory...

Tom Liotta