Rob,

I'm not asking *you* to write code in RPG/400! But if I was running a
company with lots of RPG/400 code and programmers who were comfortable with
RPG/400 (and perhaps not so comfortable with RPGLE), I probably wouldn't
update to RPGLE. I know plenty of people who are fine writing RPG/400, and
are probably as fast as you are at writing RPGLE (assuming you're using
SEU).

As for testing, it totally depends on the complexity of the applciations.
But if a company has to comply with SOX-obsessed auditors and similar
bureaucracy, it can be dauntingly large, especially compared with the
overhead of testing existing RPG/400 applications - zero. There are anumber
of areas where a straight conversion can result in failures - numeric
overload and message-handling come to mind.

I agree that their management may be idiots. But the first guy on the
chopping block just might be the manager who convinces them to undertake a
project to rewrite their existing working application and ends up (after a
potentially costly rewrite/test cycle) with either an exact copy of that
application or a broken copy of that application. He's the guy *I'd* fire,
for wasting company time and resources.

Just like I'd possibly fire the guy who replaces a working RPGIV applciation
with the exact equivalent in Java. Even if I thought that Java was a better
language (I don't), and even it might be easier to hire new Java developers,
the time and cost involved in fully rewriting an application rarely make
sense.

Rory