________________________________

Thanks alot for this helpful questions , i am very fresh in as400 sorry if i ask alot
I am using one free as400 server (pub1.rzkh.de).
atached the program screens , hope it can help to catch the error
Ya its very simple programs , but its good for beginers :)
Answers for belowed Questions :

1. What are you using to edit the source member? SEU
2. What job is getting the error? what you mean by this question i didnt get it
3. Are you getting the error when you compile the program? yes after i compile it .
4. Or are you getting the error when you run the program? actually i can't exceute the program
5. Where are you seeing the error?after compliling by 14 + f4

6. Do you know how to find more help when you get an error? The thing to
do is put your cursor on the error, then press F1. That gives you more yes
information on that message. Then press F10 to see more messages - that
is probably where you will see the problem.

7. What is the version of the OS on your iSeries? If you don't know, try v5r3
the command DSPDTAARA QSS1MRI - you probably want to copy/paste
that command into a command line in your emulator.

8. Did you tell what the message ID is for the error? If you don't know
what a message ID is, ask us. this is the message for the eror CPF1240 , The job was running in subsystem QBATCH- what thats means?

We are glad to help, but we need to know what you are doing.

Oh - there is a Programmer's Guide that IBM puts out -
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/books/sc092507.pdf
or http://tinyurl.com/kwwtky will get it. There is an example ILR RPG
program in there. You will also have to create a couple physical files
in order to create the program. Chapter 20 has an example interactive
program. Again, there are files that need to be created - a physical
file and a couple display files, for the user to work with.

But you have been given an extremely simple one - it will work as is,
but since it doesn't, we need to know more.

Here is a link to a tutorial - it covers a lot of things and might help
you (I know, it has some old stuff in it, but it might be the ticket)

http://www.texas400.com/tutas400toc.html

Here is another one - I cannot say how good it is, but it's worth looking at

http://www.broculos.net/tutorials/category/AS400/en

I just googled for rpg tutorial as400

Also, someone mentioned Scott Klement's site - do go there - this link
is about how to learn RPG

http://www.scottklement.com/rpg/howtolearn.html
I really apprciate all your great support!
thanks
newp

Rich Woods wrote:
If you are using option 14 in PDM to compile, maybe the compile defaults to QBATCH (or some subsystem or job queue) that you don't have authority to use?

Rich Woods
American Seating Company