No you won't.

the following code works just fine:

dlongdate s 8 0 Inz(20080605)
dshortdate s 7 0

/Free
ShortDate = %Dec(%Date(LongDate:*ISO):*CYMD) ;

Dsply shortdate ;

Return ;
/End-Free

You have to think about this in pieces.

1. "%Date(LongDate:*ISO)" converts the original 8.0 field into a true
date. The length of the original no longer maters.
2. %Dec is converting a date into a number in *CYMD format. *CYMD format
is 7 digits long by definition. So the number generated fits the
ShortDate field.

Brian May
Project Lead
Management Information Systems
Garan, Incorporated
Starkville, Mississippi

Young i Professionals
http://www.youngiprofessionals.com

"Rex Capio" <rex_capio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
06/05/2009 11:02 AM
Please respond to
RPG programming on the IBM i / System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"'RPG programming on the IBM i / System i'" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Convert date from YYYYMMDD to CYYMMDD format

You still need to convert it to character because the source and target
fields have different lengths (the former is 8.0 and latter is 7.0).
Otherwise you'll get the message "RNQ0103 - The target for a numeric
operation is too small to hold the result (C G D F)".