Problems include:

If you're delaying for 30 minutes and someone runs
ENDSBS SBS(*ALL) OPTION(*CNTRLD) DELAY(120)
your delay may not wake up to check %shtdn before the two minutes expire
and it does an end *IMMED.

Option: Submit yet another NEP. It only delays 30 seconds or less. Checks
for %shtdn and submits off data queue entries, drops in stream files here
and there and does what it takes to get the other jobs to end gracefully.
Problem: Would work fine on queue driven programs like message queues and
data queues but wouldn't do squat on programs that sleep for 30 minutes
and then checks for a stream file entry. But you already knew that with
your QUIT.TXT discussion below.

Work around. Two jobs instead of one? 30 minutes stream file program
does nothing upon wake up except check %shtdn. If no %shtdn then check
for stream file, if stream file exists then send data queue entry. Go back
to sleep. If it dies with *IMMED who cares? Second job would process the
data queue and only sleep for a minute or less. If it gets the QUIT entry
in the data queue then die. If it wakes up and detects %shtdn then die,
otherwise, post data.

Rob Berendt