Okay, I've found where is says that it's not allowed.

The select-statement must not refer to variables or include parameter
markers.

But why, I dont see the explaination why? I'm not seeing why the compiler
would care if I use a hard coded value or a host variable to select
records.

--

Michael Schutte
Admin Professional

BIG FARM SALADS: Made when you're ready, not ready made.
Try our NEW Savor-Size Country Caesar Salad for 5.99!
For more information, visit BobEvans.com

Vern Hamberg
<vhamberg@comcast
.net> To
Sent by: RPG programming on the IBM i /
rpg400-l-bounces@ System i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
midrange.com cc

Subject
05/07/2009 09:05 Re: CREATE TABLE AS ... WITH DATA
AM

Please respond to
RPG programming
on the IBM i /
System i
<rpg400-l@midrang
e.com>

the reference manual has lots of info on where host variables are
allowed - check the create table section - carefully look at the syntax
and all

there are good reasons for some of these things, and they usually make
sense after thinking about it a while

come back with quotes from that section, then we can respond better

regards
vern

Michael_Schutte@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
It's not a compile message. It's interactive SQL checking that it was
barfing on. The message was "HOST VARIABLE NOT PERMITTED HERE".

I thought it might be a mistake so I saved it anyway and tried to
compile,
and the compile message was the same. It's not allowing host variables
when trying to create table with data. I just understand why.