Why not use embedded SQL? Something in the line of:

SELECT dept, item, desc, SUM(qty) as quantity, SUM(cost) AS costs INTO
:toplist
FROM file
WHERE criteria
GROUP BY dept, item, desc
ORDER BY quantity DESC
FOR 10 ROWS

Of course you need two SQLstatements, unless you can refer to the ordinal
column number of the result set to do the order by using a host variable
(meaning: ORDER BY :myorder, where myorder has either the value 4 (for
quantity) or 5 (for costs)) .

Beware, not tested and I am not a guru in SQL, either.

With regards,
Carel Teijgeler