From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Paul Tuohy
Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:21 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: Test 972 - ILE RPG Certification

This is a posting that Laura Calley made to another list re
certification - I am re-posting it here on her behalf. Laura may be
contacted at lcalley@xxxxxxxxxx .

"I am the Worldwide Program Manager for IBM Power Systems Certification.
This includes all AIX and IBM i Certifications. Oddly, the RPG
certification is part of that list due to its AS/400 heritage. Most,
and soon to be all, Power Systems certifications have an associated
Assessment test. These Assessment tests are the only supported, and
least expensive, way to determine a test-takers level of preparation for
a Certification. Why? Simple.

* Certification and Assessment test questions are developed at the
same time, by the same group of Subject Matter Experts.
* These subject matter experts come from both inside and outside IBM
- they're programmers, administrators, developers, and in some
cases teachers, of the skills needed for the job role being
certified. Several of them are members of the Easy400group.
* More importantly, the Subject Matter Experts have zero influence
on where test questions will be used, either on a Certification
test or on an Assessment test.
* The Assessment tests cover the same subject matter, at the same
difficulty level, as the Certification tests and are scored in the
identical way.
* It costs only $10 USD to take an Assessment test.

There are many sites that contain "study guides" or "practice
tests". Acquiring one of these costs anywhere from $29 to over $100.
Most of them have out-of-date content. Some have actual test questions
stolen from Certification tests. Using them not only does not
accurately assess a person's readiness to Certify, since at that point
what is being studied is the answers to questions versus knowledge of
the subject matter, but can actually put a test taker's Certification at
risk. Cheating by any method, including the use of stolen intellectual
capital, is grounds for the revocation of a certification and can
potentially cause the test taker to be prohibited from further testing.
Have I caught people cheating? Yes, I have.

You can find the Assessment test for the RPG certification at
http://www-03.ibm.com/certify/tests/sam972.shtml

Thank you for the opportunity to explain a bit about how IBM
Power Systems Certifications work, and how best to prepare for them. "

Regards

Paul Tuohy
ComCon
www.comconadvisor.com
www.systemideveloper.com

Don wrote:
Well, it's not the study guide it should be, IMHO, but it looks like
Laura's
been busy...:)

DR2