On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 1:34 AM, Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At least this clearly shows the superiority of running stuff under
commitment control vs. only journaling.

Yes, I've seen the numbers before. <grin>

In my case, I was updating 5M records.

Without Journaling: 0:00:53
With Journaling but no commitment control: 0:13:19
With Journaling and commitment control: 0:04:47
With Journaling & commit every 1K recs: 0:01:58

So in this case, an explicit commit is needed - either as a COMMIT
opcode or %commit BIF, or as a response to inquiry message CPA8350.

One of the manuals, don't remember which one, mentions that the
inquiry message is sent only if the job is interactive. For a batch
job the rollback is automatic.

The information message CPI8350 is intriguing - it says that an implicit
commit is performed when activation group level commitment definition is
being ended normally with pending changes. In this case, the RPG open
was apparently with *JOB open scope - first time, I had CMTSCOPE using
the default - *ACTGRP. So it failed to run. Now my question is, how do I
open a file in RPGLE with *ACTGRP open scope? This program was created
with DFTACTGRP(*NO) and using the default for activation group - QILE.

I don't think the RPGLE open scope is job, perhaps your CLLE program
wasn't running in QILE, thus the original commitment definition was
not usable.

Regards - and how do you like you steak?

medium <grin>

Charles