Thanks Simon

Your suggestions fixed my issue. I missed the bit re PARM and BASED.

The reason I did;
RTNWID: CHGVAR &RTNWIDTH &RTNWIDTH was so that I
could debug the program and break on the line.

Is the Midgrange list a better place for technical questions like this.
In my opinion, no. Now that CL has the ability to use pointers and based
variablesI think questions are best raised on this list.

BTW This also fixes a old problem I had with CL in that Packed Decimal data
from APIs was so awkard to deal with.

Frank Kolmann