Hi Vern,

<snip>
Do I remember right? The C/C++ functions are all procedures? I think they are all in a service program or 2.
</snip>

I would imagine that in ILE every call is to a procedure.

The difference is encountered when a dynamic call is made to a program. In RPG the parameters are passed to the PEP. I believe these parameters are in the form of an array of pointers. The PEP then does some fancy footwork to ensure the variables passed go the appropriate module main procedure.

The first call (to the PEP) is dynamic but the second call (to the main procedure) is bound.

I would imagine the same would occur if the program was created from a C module. I can't imagine a program created from a C module would have a different call mechanism to a program created from a RPG module. What happens internally (between the PEP and the main procedure) may differ but the external call to the program should be identical. Otherwise we would have to cater for all kinds of incompatibilites when calling across language boundaries. I would imagine passing options such as *CWIDEN and *CL are used when preparing the parameters for the bound call and do not relate to external calls.

Hmmm...

Just thought - was you specifically talking about calling the runtime library functions via a prototyped call and not calling a program via an external call as my post focused on? If so then yes, they are bound calls - the prototype will have extproc defined and you will need to include the QC2LE binding directory to locate the service programs.

Cheers

Larry Ducie
It's simple! Sell your car for just $50
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801459%2Fpi%5F1004813%2Fai%5F859641&_t=762955845&_r=tig_OCT07&_m=EXT