James Perkins wrote:
While I agree that GOTOs are not required in cycle programs, I have probably
only seen a handful of cycle programs that did not use them. There is
usually always some record you don't want.

I can't recall the last time I used a GOTO in a Cycle program.

Consider this pseudocoded example:

FFOOBAR UP E K DISK
*
C IF the record is of interest
*
C PROCESS
C THE
C RECORD
C AND
*
C UPDATE FOOBARREC
*
C ENDIF

Or if different types of records are to get different treatment

FFOOBAR UP E K DISK
*
C SELECT
C WHEN the record is this type