Charles Sallee wrote:

To me, "Nifty code" by definition is hard to understand if you have not
used the technique many times your self. What is the use in saving
lines of code if you have to add lines of documentation to explain what
you are doing?

My own example (not /free) was a pair of recursive-descent parsers. And so long as one understands the concept of procedure calls, they're both perfectly straightforward.

/free itself is something I can only understand because I'm fluent in several other programming languages; if I only knew RPG, it would be gibberish.

Assignment of a logical value directly from a logical expression is also something that makes perfect sense to me only because I'm fluent in other programming languages, and C-style "+=" and "-=" are only understandable because one of those languages is C.

I've seen people on this List pursue holy wars against any use (conventional or otherwise) of The Cycle, in spite of the fact that it's both useful and an inherent part of RPG. To me, on the other hand, if one is unfamiliar with The Cycle, and unable to recognize places where it can be used in unconventional ways (such as in an update program, or as the event-loop of an interactive program), then there's little point in using RPG at all. And if one can't recognize The Cycle when it's being used (conventionally or otherwise), then how can one legitimately claim to know RPG?