From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Rick.Chevalier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, 6 November 2008 8:11 a.m.
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Retrieving identity column value when adding a record

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I forgot to mention that we are at V5R4 so I can't get the value from an
insert statement.

I just want to clarify something. I saw Charles solution from the
archives. When I looked it up in the SQL reference manual it
specifically states the VALUES statement is only allowed in a trigger.
I am not using a trigger and doubt that will change. Is the manual
wrong and the statement can be used from a SQLRPGLE program?

From the V5R4 SQL reference manual:
VALUES

The VALUES statement provides a method for invoking a user-defined
function from a trigger. Transition variables can be passed to the
user-defined function.

Invocation
This statement can only be used in the triggered action of a CREATE
TRIGGER statement.

Rick