Thanks,

I don't use API's much, otherwise it would have been a natural.

As far as the page you ref, I went there at least twice. An example would have been nice. Especially if this BINARY(4) appears in so many places. Even now when I know what the problem was, the page is not clear as to which statement in the list applies to which circumstance.

But, it wouldn't be the first time an answer stared me in the face.

rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 10/31/2008 3:47 PM >>>
Hi Buddy,

Here's the page of the API documentation that describes the data types
used in APIs:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/apiref/data.htm

Furthermore, this has been discussed many times on this list. It has
been discussed many times on the SystemiNetwork.com forums. And, I
suspect on other similar forums. It has also been stated in quite a few
articles, books and presentations that discuss APIs. At least 4 that
I've writtem, and I know I've seen it from Bruce Vining. I suspect
there are many others.

So I would, indeed, say you were looking in the wrong spot.

And, I would welcome suggestions as to how we in the trade publications
could do a better job of putting this information where you can find it.

Buddy McClean wrote:
Thank you - I can finally move on. Looking for days to find that. Be
nice if the many pages of documentation had told me that. I guess I
wasn't looking in the right spot.