On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Simon Coulter <shc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 10/10/2008, at 2:47 AM, Charles Wilt wrote:

Now interestingly enough, I get the error when using IBM's Client
Access; however if I use Powerterm, I don't get the error. The device
description is the same in either case.

The Query5250 Response allows the controller to specify the maximum
number of input fields allowed. Normally this is set to X'100' (i.e.,
256). I guess it's possible for an emulator to increase this value
but I haven't tried that. Perhaps Powerterm is doing this which might
explain your observed behaviour? 256 was certainly the last published
maximum but perhaps it's been increased (540 shows 256 and 610 is off
the air at present).

I don't have 256 fields on the screen....Although, there's lots of
hidden and program fields. Are those counted toward the limit?

Are we talking 256 fields total, or is this a per record format limit?

You said previously that this error occurs on the READ. I would re-
examine that because it doesn't make sense to me. READ causes the
emulator to format a 5250 response and send it back to the host.
Negative response codes generally indicate problems on a WRITE of
data. I accept that DFTWRT(*YES) would make it seem to occur on the
READ but since you say you disabled that and it still happens on the
READ I think something else is occurring.

Ok, I set DFRWTR(*NO) again, having lost it when I recompiled, and
stepped through the writes. I'm getting the error on a WRITE of the
format that contains the function key text. The only fields are 4
program-to-system fields for the DSPATR of the text. The value of all
4 fields is x'3A'.

You could try tracing the 5250 data stream. Gene Gaunt published a
TRC5250 command some time ago (I think for iSeries News) that
provides a nicely formatted dump. It's not complete and has a few
defects but for the most part it works OK. You could use this to trap
the 5250 data stream and see what it shows.

I found the article on mcpressonline.com. Looks like it was published
in the old mag, and I haven't been able to find the code to download.
Maybe somebody here will have a copy.

Otherwise I found a reference to PC5250 offering a way to trace the
data stream, maybe I'll try that.

Thanks for your help!
Charles