Hi Birgitta,

Have you an example of enhancements of SQE that cannot be used in this case? I don't think you mean that certain SQL commands wouldn't execute, oder?

Thanks for the information. I will inform the rest of the shop and search all our SQLRPG's for such misuse while the list is still comparatively small.

-----Message d'origine-----
De : rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] De la part de Birgitta Hauser
Envoyé : jeudi 9 octobre 2008 19:43
À : 'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'
Objet : AW: SQL versus READ for sequential processing

Hi David,

My first embedded SQL statement used a DDS LF.
I realized sometime after that I only needed to use the PF.
Is there a problem in leaving it like that? As the rest of our shop is
very new to SQL, I think others may still be doing the same.

First SQL works differently than native I/O does.
With native I/O you specify a physical or logical file in the F-Specs which is read.
If you specify DDS described logical file in an SQL statement, the query optimizer first have to rewrite the SQL statement based on the physical files.
In the first step the query optimizer does not care about the keys specified in the logical file, but takes only the selected fields, join information and select/omit clauses to rewrite the SQL statement. After having the SQL statement rewritten the optimizer does not know anymore that originally a keyed logical file was specified and searches through ALL available access paths (DDS described logical files and SQL indexes) to find the best one.

Since release V5R2 there are 2 query engines, the Classic Query Engine (CQE), the old one and the SQL Query Engine (SQE), the new one.
In most cases the SQE performs much better than the CQE. Parts of the SQE are implemented under the MI level (directly in the operating system). Also the SQE is designed in OO style and therefore much more flexible than the CQE. Further all SQL enhancements since release V5R3 can only be executed by the SQE.

When specifying a DDS described logical file, the SQL statement must be rerouted to the CQE, which may not only cost between 10 and 15% of performance, but the flexibility and the enhancements of the SQE cannot be used.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Birgitta Hauser

Brown)
"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." (Derek Bok) "What is worse than training your staff and losing them? Not training them and keeping them!"