To: "RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 4:26 PM
Subject: Re: A question about multi-module SRVPGM

Hi, John:

If you have a *MODULE that contains one or more procedures that are used
in only one bound ILE *PGM, then it probably "makes sense" to just bind
that *MODULE directly into that *PGM (bind by copy).

If two or more ILE *PGMs use any of the procedures in that *MODULE, then
it probably "makes sense" to create a *SRVPGM, and add that *SRVPGM to a
binding directory (*BNDDIR) and use that binding directory when you
create the ILE *PGMs, so those *PGMs will "bind by reference" to any
needed *SRVPGMs.

This is a "good thing" from a maintenance point of view, because, when
you eventually have to modify that *MODULE (to fix a problem or add new
features), you need only recreate the one place where it is bound -- either a single ILE *PGM or a single *SRVPGM. You can even do this
using UPDPGM or UPDSRVPGM.

Does that help?

Mark S. Waterbury

> John McKay wrote:
Perhaps this would be a good point for someone to remind us of the
advantages of using service programs ...

John McKay
www.rpglanguage.com
www.mckaysoftware.ie