From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Christen, Duane J.
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2008 3:13 PM
To: 'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: RE: Dynamic Array as return/output parameter in export
procedure

Automatic variables are handled by the code produced by the compiler,
which pushes and pops them from the stack as each procedure is called
and exits. This is a "form" of allocation/deallocation, which is handled
by the compiler/OS automaticly.

Dereferencing a pointer is asking for the value(s) that it points to. In
RPG you can use %Str() or a variable Based() on a pointer.

Duane Christen