Nah, I knew that you knew that I knew that :)

But I thought you'd find the benchmarks interesting.

Added the rest for the archives.

Charles

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Crispin Bates <cbates@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Charles,

Perhaps I should have included a :-) as I figured it was a typo ;-)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Wilt" <charles.wilt@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 1:59 PM
Subject: Re: Question about opening and closing files

Crispin,

Sorry typo on my part, that should have said "But a trigger program
should never be ended with *LR = *ON anyway."

In one word, performance.

Reactivating the program, reintializing all the variables, and
reopening the files will kill the performance.

The REDBOOK - Stored Procedures, Triggers and User-Defined Functions
on DB2 UDB for iSeries says:
Performance Considerations (p435)
– Try to exit a trigger program the "soft" way. Avoid, if you can,
SETON LR in RPG, STOP
RUN in COBOL, and exit() in C. This allows you to leave some files
open and avoid the
overhead of opening them again when you get back into the trigger.
This technique is
broadly used in our trigger examples. Use a static variable to
determine whether the
file needs to be opened. In the C language, define the file pointer as
static and check
for the NULL value. In terms of application logic, if you open a file
to append record at
the end or for reading with random positioning, you can avoid closing it.

Since I happened to be doing some benchmarking anyway, I ran a quick quick.
An a 515 running v5r4, with no other users, and having a program
submitted to batch that updates every row of a 2.9 million record
table. (Table is journaled and update program commits every 1000
records, for why look for my next benchmark post :)

CPU Clock
no trigger 41 1:58
LR=*ON no files 260 7:30
LR=*ON 1 file 519 16:25