From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Armbruster, Tom
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 3:50 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Environment Corruption?

First, let me start with the statement that the ILE environment confuses
the heck out of me sometimes. :-) I learned RPG III and RPG IV on the
fly to help fill the gaps in my shop. When I recognized the syntax
available in ILE RPG as something more familiar to my OOP and web based
programming background, I embraced it and started incorporating more of
the methodology.

Now I'm faced with an environment issue, I think, for which I need some
advice.

Today, programs that used to work in the interactive environment are
suddenly failing. The programs in question are prototyped, and the
calling program is bound to a service program (I've read it's the best
way to cascade common modules to programs). The prototypes in question
are not part of the service program, they're just includes that call an
external program. Here's what I mean:

dds_hotelrec e ds extname(hotels01:f_hotels:*INPUT)
d*
d GetHotel_# pr extpgm('SEL04011')
d vghotel_ds likeds(ds_hotelrec)

I can call this program from a command line without issue. Today,
however, in the interactive program the call returns a CPF4169 error.
My research indicates that this is a display size error. Well, that's
not the case. DSPSIZ is set, and the call used to work. Just to verify
that the object was up to date, I tried to recompile using the same
command line options that I've used for several months (
CRTSQLRPGI OBJ(ETSSHARE/SEL04011) OBJTYPE(*PGM) DBGVIEW(*SOURCE)
DYNUSRPRF(*OWNER) COMMIT(*NONE) SRCFILE(ETSSHARE/QRPGLESRC) and CRTPGM
PGM(ETSSHARE/SEL04011) MODULE(*PGM) BNDSRVPGM(ETSSHARE/ETSSRVPGM)
USRPRF(*OWNER)). This time, however, the compiler returns "Parameter
BNDDIR not allowed with DFTACTGRP(*YES)."

Is it possible that an interactive "crash" within a user session could
return these types of errors? Should I be compiling the objects in a
different way? Any advice and/or insight is welcome.

Thanks,
Tom Armbruster
Senior Software Developer
Travelocity On Location