Paul,

%STR has a single argument passed to it - a pointer. It returns the data
pointed to by that pointer up to (but not including) the first 'null
character' (x'00').

So when you say that d_name is "SMALLNAME.xls ME.xls", in fact, the first
character after "SMALLNAME.xls" is actually x'00'. If you're in debug and
from the debugger command line do "eval d_name:x", you will see this. The
reaminign stuff (including the ME.xls' is just leftover stuff from a

As you have found out, you can use d_namelen instead, since d_namelen is set
by the system to be the length of d_name up to the first x'00'. Frankly, I'd
use d_namelen rather than %STR, but that's just a personal preference -
since the system provides you with a data-length value, you may as well use
it.

FYI, the use of x'00' as a string-delimiter is a C thing.

HTH,

Rory