Birgitta,

Couldn't you register an exit point in the RCLRSC command, and if you're service program was active, make a call to the CLOSE procedure in your service program? Then you could still use MyActGrp...

Crispin.

----- Original Message ----- From: "BirgittaHauser" <Hauser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 2:09 PM
Subject: AW: MCH3402 - and Built-In-Function %OPEN

Hi,

I'm curious, why the requirement for RclActGrp?
Do you really need it?

Short answer: Yes

Long answer:
Originally my program was designed to run in it s own activation group. What
I have to do is to design and write printer files dynamically. The client
calls the program for each action he wants to execute with the printer file,
such as Open, Send Data, Print sent data, Print an empty row, Skip to next
page, close printer file and so on. The program itself is only a wrapper for
a bunch of procedures (one for each action) that are located in a service
program. The service program run in the same named activation group (not
*CALLER) as the program, because I expected the program get somewhen
eliminated and the procedures get called directly.

To close the printerfile I expected the CLOSE action will be executed. But
instead of calling my program with the close action, simply a RCLRSC get
executed. Because everything (with the exception of my program and service
programs), a RCLRSC will not close my printer file. That means after RCLRSC
the printer is still opened. To close it either the close procedure must be
called or a RCLACTGRP(MyActGrp) must be performed.

That's why I proposed to add an RCLACTGRP(MyActGrp) immediately before or
after the RCLRSC.
Or how else can I detect that RCLRSC was executed and the printer file must
be closed?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Birgitta Hauser

Brown)