So all it would be is run the CPYTOIMPF ? you just have to know that something was really sent.

--- On Tue, 6/24/08, Francis Lapeyre <flapeyre@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Francis Lapeyre <flapeyre@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Getting data from banks
To: "RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, June 24, 2008, 2:45 PM

A Google search for "currency rates data" comes up with a bunch of
services,
but they'll cost you.

What looks fairly easy (you can get it as a .csv file, and then, presumably,
use CPYFRMIMPF to put it into a physical file) is

http://www.xe.com/dfs/product.php

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 8:29 AM, Adam Glauser
<adamglauser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Adam West wrote:
Is it doable to have an RPG program go to a web site and get the
rates or
it must be done via an FTP or XML process?

I'm not really sure what you mean by "an XML process". HTTP
and FTP are
communication protocols while HTML and XML are markup languages, or ways
of formatting data. Web sites of the sort that a human would usually
look at in a browser are usually HTML documents retrieved using HTTP.
Web services often return XML documents using HTTP.

FTP is just another way of getting data from one place to another. You
might get XML, CSV, field-delimited or some other type of document from
an FTP server.

If you want to try to extract rates from an HTML page (aka web site), I
only have one word of advice ... don't! If you can get the data in
another format it would likely be much easier on you. Parsing HTML is
painful compared to parsing XML or a delimited file (the type you might
get via FTP).
list