Aaron Bartell wrote:

What you mentioned about the network going down (or more frequently: WDSC
crashing) is what I was originally concerned about, but now that I know EDTF
will work in a pinch I am not as concerned about not having SEU on a
machine. Now, if they take away EDTF I will be disgruntled because then I
will have to find another preinstalled method of editing source.

crtpf qtemp/edtsrc rcdlen(92)
cpyf ... mbropt(*replace) fmtopt(*cvtsrc)
upddta qtemp/edtsrc
cpyf ... mbropt(*replace) fmtopt(*cvtsrc)

The same general principle works if you want to use say Notepad in Windows:

REM Get source from i
@echo off
del getsrc.ftp
echo open your_system_name_or_ip > getsrc.ftp
echo your_user_id >> getsrc.ftp
echo your_password >> getsrc.ftp
echo quote site namefmt 1 >> getsrc.ftp
echo get /qsys.lib/your_library.lib/qrpglesrc.file/%1.mbr %1.rpgle >> getsrc.ftp
echo quit >> getsrc.ftp
ftp -s:getsrc.ftp
notepad %1.rpgle

To run this (say it's called getsrc.bat) you getsrc my_member. Obviously it wants enhancement if you want to use different libraries/source files/types, but you get the idea. When I travelled, I kept a script like this on a diskette. Today, a thumb drive works even nicer :-)