Personally, I think java's try/catch is so overrated. What do you do when you catch an error? Logs it and exits the program? I don't know how many times I've seen java apps encounter error for days without anybody notice it. When some users finally reported the problem, the java developer normally have to dig throught a bunch of log to try to figure out the problem and, in most case, java developer is not able to determine the actual cause of problem. Yes, RPG escape message is ugly, but you know the problem right a way.

As far as memory leak, I'm think Steve is probably refering to RPG does not have garbage collector. Again, a bit overrated, unless the programmer is play with pointer, you can hardly cause memory leak in RPG.

________________________________

From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Aaron Bartell
Sent: Wed 6/18/2008 10:54 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: Is RPG 'DEAD"

On top of the other comment about MONITOR being a semi-equivalent to
try/catch (try/catch is better because you can catch custom errors) I would
also point out that RPG has the same getter/setter capabilities, though they
aren't necessarily autogenerated for you based on global variables.

I am curious as to what you mean by memory leaks in RPG? I haven't ever
experienced these outside of programmer error, but maybe that is what you
are talking about.

And lastly, what are virtual functions?

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com <http://mowyourlawn.com/>