Chuck,

I'm being dense and missing something here. I understand the danger of LVLCHK(*NO). What I was describing was how I have added fields to a *production* file on the fly without getting any level check errors. I *have* to do step 2, the CHGPF statement, so that the new fields I put into the DDS source are actually put into the file. *Because* I have done that CHGPF statement and therefore added fields, any RPG programs will level check, *except* I put a LVLCHK(*NO) in that CHGPF statement.

Now I compile the RPG programs using that file. Since they now reflect the new, updated version of the file, I can now do a CHGPF LVLCHK(*YES).

I am not at all concerned about LVLCHK for the compiles, I am concerned that a user will execute one of these RPG programs before I complete the compiles. Murphy's law says that if I only need to compile 3 programs, and it takes less than 20 seconds total (which it would), someone will call one of these programs in that 20 seconds. That's all.