David FOXWELL wrote:

I hear there are occasional problems when a trigger program is involved, although I don't have a lot of experience with these. I've just created a new transaction file and the boss says no trigger. The trigger on the master file already fires off all over the place and can be a pain in the neck while developping.

Note that there is perhaps no reason to think that some alternative would have fewer issues than a true trigger might have. I'd venture to guess that if alternatives had fewer problems, then "triggers" might not have been invented.

I'd then venture to suggest that the best course is to review the structure and usage of that "trigger on the master file" to see where its design and/or implementation might be improved. Maybe it's just a matter of replacing it with something better -- i.e., the code might need some work.

Tom Liotta