Free format is V5R4, there are no C's in column 6, no "+" signs in column 7 and instead of end-exec, you use a semi-colon, but you still use EXEC SQL to begin the statement.

Doug Palme wrote:
I appreciate that Luis, and that very well may be the way I go....especially since I am so far unable to get the embedded SQL to work in free format, and I am not going to change that LOL.......

I am liking free far too much to go back the other direction.