From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2008 5:48 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Classic Traps -- I need your input!

Folks, I'm working on an article that's tentatively titled "Classic
Traps and How to Avoid Them". The general idea is to discuss the classic
mistakes that programmers make while programming, and (where necessary)
explain how to avoid that.

This can be simple things like "Don't use 10000.01 to flip dates,
because it's an obscure technique that many people won't understand, so
even though it's really neat, don't use it". But it can also be a much
more broad and sophisticated notion of a "trap".... "Don't get into the
habit of mixing business logic together with display logic. Although it
makes your program much easier to write, and the code is much easier to
follow, over time it results in a system that's very difficult to
maintain when the business wants to change something, it becomes very
slow and difficult to adapt the old system to the new paradigm"

Or something like that.

Anyway... I would REALLY appreciate your help. What I need to do is get
together a list of the classic traps that programmers fall into. Please
send me a list of the common traps and mistakes. You can just reply to
my e-mail address directly (I don't want to dirty up the lists too much)
The e-mail address at the top of this message will work fine.

I just want to get together a good list of classic traps so I can use
them in my article.

Thanks