From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2008 12:21 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: SMTP server name

Hello Thomas,

May I ask a few questions on that article?

Of course.

I tried the telnet process described in your article. It didn't work
for me (I was trying to use the iSeries SMTP server). Must be
something I still don't understand because I CAN use the SNDDST
command on my iSeries (so I know the SMTP Server is set up correctly).
What am I not understanding?

Where did you type the TELNET command from? Windows? Linux? i5/OS?

What was the actual command-line that you typed?

Do you have any sort of firewall? Port restrictions? Proxies? etc in
place? Or is this a direct, open, connection?

I love the idea of using native RPG code, as you present in your article,
accomplish my e-mail requirements. However, I didn't see how I might
attach
a pdf file to the e-mail.

Take a look at the article that preceded that one (link follows) that
discusses the format of an e-mail message. In the code download for
this article, there's a program named 'attach' that demonstrates how to
attach a file from the IFS.
http://systeminetwork.com/article/e-mail-message-bodies

Thanks for all your contributions to message boards and your published
articles. When I see one with your byline, I always read it.

Thanks for all of your kind words.