Bruce Guetzkow wrote:
Needless to say I learned a lot in those 10 minutes (namely, last program to
compile wins!). That got me thinking (which is no small task). IMHO, IBM
should have named source files based on the object type being created in
order to eliminate the likelihood of name conflicts such as I had come
across in my TEST example above.

Hmmm... so why not have QPGMSRC and QSRVPGMSRC?

For that matter, why not have PGMSRC and SRVPGMSRC? Why begin them with the letter Q? (Just because IBM did?)

Regarding QCPYSRC.. I can see the need to have copy books that have the same name, but are in different languages. For example, if I create a service program named 'ORDER', I might want to have a copy book named ORDER for RPG programs and another one named ORDER for C programs. They'd both call the same underlying service programs, but the syntax for the prototypes, structures, etc, is different in C than it is in RPG... so I'd want two copy books with the same name. And it's not a conflict... So I guess in that case, I'd rather have RPGCPYSRC and CCPYSRC...

Just trying to take your ideas and add a little bit to them...