Robert Munday wrote:

The manager on my new project has asked me to derive a list of RPG technical questions for a programmer interview she is conducting later today. The company is coming off of two old platforms (COBOL and Lansa) and their intent is to do all development in RPGIV, /Free and embedded SQL. They have been burned previously by a programmer or two who represented mucho experience only to find that they did not know sh** from Shinola.

If you have questions to submit which are thoughtful and moderately involved, please send them to me offline at RWMunday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Robert:

I like some of the ideas so far in this thread. I particularly liked the 'missing LR' idea.

The last time I was part of an interviewer panel, I brought a listing of a very short source member that had a bug that would cause a severe compiler error. There were maybe 25 lines of code in a fairly do-nothing-of-importance program module. Somewhere early in the interview, I sat the page over near the interviewee, saying nothing about it.

Later, I asked simply "Why won't that compile?"

In this case, I don't recall what the bug was -- mismatched PR/PI names, missing quotes around a literal, whatever -- it's not nearly as important as how the question is handled by the interviewee.

As it turned out, after a couple minutes of study once the question was asked, the correct answer was given (and other interviewers on the panel did _not_ spot it;) but I was still interested more in the process and reactions than the technically correct answer.

No useful answers would be given to help the 'debugging'. Direct answers to necessary questions are fine -- E.g., "Does this file exist for the compile job?" "Yes [if it does exist]." But "Should I look at the C-specs?" wouldn't be answered except perhaps "If that's where the bug is, sure."

First indication I had was that the interviewee took a little time to take the initiative to pick it up and look at it before being asked to. Next, the time taken and distraction from the interview process was noted. Any ongoing looks later as time passed were noted. In short, as much info as could be gained about the whole person was noted before even mentioning what the purpose.

The correct answer was actually gravy.

A huge range of otherwise unspoken questions were answered in a short time. Did the person even recognize RPG? Was ILE RPG familiar? Were procedures familiar? Were the questions that were asked about the source member relevant to the task? Etc.

The activity validated answers that were given in much of the rest of the interview.

Tom Liotta