Murphy, Mark wrote:
Unless you shop uses the RPG cycle and matching record logic, there
really isn't anything in RPG that is terribly goofy and can't easily
be learned with a simple example.

IMHO, the operative phrase would be "and matching record logic." There's nothing "terribly goofy" about taking a ride on The Cycle, with or without a primary file; it's just an implicit "do-until-done" loop with optional implicit I/O. It only gets tricky and esoteric if you go into matching record logic, or start doing things with control breaks, and I have nothing but admiration for anybody who can use those things constructively.

Matching record logic and/or control breaks, on the other hand, might very well be more trouble than they're worth unless either (1) you specialize in RPG to the exclusion of all other languages, and know it far better than I do, or (2) you're doing exactly what these constructs are designed to do, or (3) both.

If a programmer knows The Cycle exists, and knows that it can never be ignored, but must either be used, bypassed, or disabled, then he or she has at least a working knowledge of RPG.

If an RPG programmer can recognize a Cycle program, particularly an unconventional one, that is the mark of one who understands the language.

If an RPG programmer can recognize even unconventional situations where The Cycle can be used to advantage, THAT is the mark of one who can recognize and exploit the strengths of a language, and who can also think outside the box.